Wednesday, April 30, 2014

First Bodybuilding Competition + Meal Prepping + A Recipe

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I know we did :) I wish by we I meant me and my hubby, but by we I mean me and my good friend Laurynn. We definitely found some things to get into! No problem keeping ourselves busy while the guys are away.



On Saturday I was finally able to get my hair highlighted! Yay!! (It was def looking pretty rough lol). And by an awesome gal over at Gaia Salon in Manhattan. If you are in the area I highly recommend Mindy. She is amazing! And the salon itself is great too. For us ladies out there, I know we like to be pampered- they even give you a complimentary shoulder/neck massage, foot treatment or hand treatment while your color sets! Can you say "Yes, Please??" It was awesome and the oil they use is really great! I could've gone into a comatose state and taken a nap right after haha. 

Of course we had to get a few of us...
Later that day, Laurynn and I got ready and headed on out to Kansas City to see my friend Angi compete in her NANBF Figure show, the Natural Southern States Classic.This was my first experience at a bodybuilding competition. I really enjoyed it! 

For those of you who aren't familiar, the NANBF or North American Natural Bodybuilding Federation, is an all-natural organization for competing. The athletes are required to take a urinalysis and polygraph test before competing to ensure that all athletes are completely natural. In some ways, I think this organization really does stand out because of that reason. There are so many organizations in this sport and everyone will choose the org that best suits their personal goals at the time. :)

I cannot help but brag about Angi and her show while I write this post....Angi was nothing short of fabulous; she looked absolutely amazing! She is not only a personal trainer, but is also an Army wife and mom of two. She has been working so hard on everything, throughout her journey, and to get ready for this show. And boy did it show!

I borrowed a few pictures that I saw her hubby post; they are definitely better than my Iphone pictures. Sad day - I forgot my good camera! Ah well! Wouldn't want my pictures to do any less justice than there should be, now would we? ;)


Stunning!!


AH-mazing work friend!









Angi is always working to improve herself and inspire others while doing it. For her, it isn't only about prepping for this one show, but about continuing to make steady improvements all the time. Angi is one of those people who believes in bringing her best self each time and will not settle for anything less. She said, "I want to be a little more ripped each show!" Go for it girl! I'll be happy to cheer you on throughout your journey.

Angi- 3rd from the right 


Men's Physique and Women's Figure Competitors
I just cannot say enough great things about anyone who competes in bodybuilding. Really. Congratulations to all who take the time, commit to the dedication it takes, and every other detail involved in this lifestyle. Those men and women who stepped on stage this weekend really go the distance to set themselves aside from the "norm" because they are the exceptions. This is the next level. For this show, over 250 competitors took the stage, in Bikini, Figure, Physique and Bodybuilding. Just plain WOW. Many of those competitors were over the age of 35. Like many, Angi pointed out that she was very impressed by all of the women competing, especially the 40+ ladies!


Angi - 2nd from the right
The competition definitely wasn't easy by any means. With all of the ladies and especially those who did earn their pro cards that night, the differences in these women was very small, and may go unnoticed for someone new to the sport.  I say this because they were all ON POINT and it was a very competitive group of women. I know I would have not wanted to judge that group of women because it was close. 

 Here is a video of one class she was in and the mandatory posing for the group; this should be Figure Open Medium Tall.

Every single one of them should be SO proud of their accomplishments and presentation that night. No one should leave without knowing that they gave it their all. It really is an incredible sport to be a part of, and what looks like so much fun! I can't wait to be able to share the experience with fellow competitors! From the journey itself, to taking it to the next level.

 
Group shot of the Women's Figure NerG Athletes, and their AwEsOmE coaches/trainers Liz and Abu

And I have to "toot their horn" for them for a minute and did not want to leave them out of this post for this reason. Liz and Abu are also so great at what they do! I have seen Liz and Abu at a few seminars this year and had a posing session with Liz not too long ago, and she is wonderful! I know I can't wait to work with her more this year. From coaching, to posing, suits for the show, to training, or simply support for the day of the show, and so much more; they've got you! If you ever find yourself in need of a trainer, coach, etc. give these guys a call! Or anyone at Laser Sharp Fitness for that matter! I promise, you won't be disappointed!

After the show was over, Saturday night, we all headed over to Nicky's Pizza to get some food; I know Angi was probably hungry and so were we by that point lol. Sorry no pictures! It completely slipped my mind. Let me just say, if you are ever around the KC Missouri area and are in the mood for some good, homemade pizza you have got to check this place out! Thank me later ;) We got the Spinach & Artichoke Dip and a Mediterranean Pizza with regular green olives, added mushrooms and peppers. Boy was it yummy!

Then Sunday I had to catch up on sleep from getting in super early that morning, then do the normal activities: gym, laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep...you know, the usual before going back to work on Monday.

Got all my lunches and mid-morning/afternoon meals together

Awesome Egg Muffins > boring egg whites
And lately, I have been having 6 boiled egg whites to go with my yogurt, blueberries, and ezekiel bread for mid-morning around 10 or so. I added the eggs because the yogurt alone definitely isn't enough protein to hold me for very long. But man...egg whites can only get so interesting lol. It was time to switch things up, so I made my egg muffins!  

When I first began my journey, these were my go-to for breakfasts every week. I make enough for 5 days and eat them all week. This is the original recipe that I modified for my taste/goals. Before now, I was using some whole eggs so feel free to adjust the recipe to your liking and needs. Now I am only using egg whites to make these.   


Here's what you'll need:
 
-30 egg whites 
(or smaller/larger amount to fit your needs)
- 1 whole red bell pepper - chopped
-1 whole green bell pepper - chopped
-or other chopped veggies to your taste  (asparagus, spinach, etc.)
-1/4 (my case) very large Vidalia onion 
OR 1/2 medium white or yellow onion
-Garlic powder
-Onion powder
-Seasoned salt or sea salt
-Pepper if you like
-5 slices turkey bacon - cooked


Directions:
  • Chop up all veggies and mix in bowl, then set aside.
  • Cook bacon in microwave or in skillet and set aside. 
  • Prepare muffin tins by spraying with non-stick cooking spray (I used 1 16 count large muffin tin, and 1 8 count large muffin tin). 
  • The put a large spoonful or so of the veggie mix into each spot in your muffin pans; I had extra so I spread it evenly in the pans. 
  • Put all egg whites in large bowl, and season to taste. I sprinkled garlic powder and onion powder in a thin layer on top- be careful and don't put too much onion powder or they will come out with a strong taste (yes I've done this with eggs before lol). Then salt and pepper to taste and whisk together.
  • Spoon egg mixture into pans on top of the veggies (Tip: I use a soup ladle and it doesn't spill). You will want to fill the tins almost to the top, but leaving room for them to rise. As long as you don't over-flow the cups you should be fine.
  • Chop up bacon into small pieces (kitchen shears work great for this), and sprinkle on top of egg mixture in your muffin cups. 
  • Cook on 350°F for around 30-35 minutes. They should be slightly brown on top. Check on them after the 25 minute mark, depending on your stove. Our gas stove cooks them quicker. 

And these could be great little go-to snacks for breakfast or any time of day, and for traveling as well. Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

The Hump Day Blog Hop


And I cannot forget, since it has literally taken me 3 days since I originally planned to post this- The awesome HUMP Day Blog Hop hosted by Liz at Fitness Blondie! So happy to continue being a part of this. I always find some amazing blogs and people to follow along with each week. And I cannot forget the co-host this week, the fabulous (and new blog to follow) Rebecca from Red Tag Chic Los Angeles! Now that's my type of shopping! Happy Blog Hopping!


Before you go, here are a few more of the pictures I took...Order of stage presence and awards (that I got pics of) follow their class.


 Men's Physique
(forgive me, I don't have the program to name the classes)

I'm pretty sure we missed the first 2 classes- this is the third
Nice Lat Spread
Top 5 places
Here are your winners!
  
Here is the class that came after...
  

Apparently I got tired of taking pictures of the men lol...

Awards for the first class...

And your winners are...

 Men's Physique Overall Judging






Women's Figure

So on the women's I was really lost with no program...learning for next time :)

Here is the first class-- Open Short maybe 

This might be a new class...


 Then it's Angi's turn!!!


  

Setting the stance...
 
Now the other half of this class

Lat Spread
Quarter Turn...




Front Pose


 Call-outs or could be a different class...

 

More comparisons...

  

  



She turned them multiple times so I picked the best and left some of those out...

Then a new class...


 And we had to leave before the women's awards :) 

Hope you have a great rest of the HUMP day!


























2 comments:

  1. Your friend looks great. She has more definition in her quads, delts, abs and arms than much of her competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely have to tell her! I agree! The competition was really tough. Really tough. Always is for this show. This was a big one for NANBF. She did great! We really enjoyed getting to see her.

      Delete