Monday, June 16, 2014

Motivation Monday & Sweet Potato Recipe

Hey there everyone! How is Monday going so far??? 

So I have quite a few posts that I am writing/working on but I found this awesome link-up this morning, so I HAVE to get a post up for it :) Then after this one I am going to be finishing up a post from Saturday night, then finally get around to my vacation recap. Technically my vacation ended today, so I guess I'm not too late right? I have to say I really really enjoyed being off work/getting paid to be away :) Hehe, big girl job benefits!

But on another note, I really do love link-ups because it is a great way to meet fellow bloggers and just see what everyone is up to. And by the looks of this one, I think you'll understand why I feel the 'must post' urge here ;) This is a Motivation Monday link-up! Woot!!! I already found another few blogs to follow, one I already do- Wendy at 'A Daily Dose of Del Signore' then a new friend, at Mama's Losing it and those are only two. Go check it out! I know I will later today. 



Today's #motivationmonday started way early this morning, like 4:15 am early. I know! It's TOO early! But that's the price for going to the gym before work for me. Oh the joys of working an hour away! lol.

Today, and this week really, I have to get in early workouts. One because I want to spend as much time with my hubby as possible before he leaves, and 2) because we are moving and I need the time at night to pack/finish packing. We really do have a lot going on I tell ya! 


So this morning, despite my greater wishes to stay in bed when my alarm went off (although I did try and it made me late), I got up and dressed, ate something super fast-like, and ran out the door to the gym. I actually got in a great leg workout, under an hour, and a nice little calorie burn too! I was able to get to all the machines I needed without a fuss, it wasn't crowded, and I had a nice conversation with an older gentleman before I did squats. So I'd say the mornings win so far! Even though it really pains me to say that, because I am not a morning person by any means, I think I may have to start doing this more often. 

My Polar watch even told me how my training week was last week :) Love that thing! Oh and look out for a blog post on this soon! I have been writing up a review of my watch for you guys!

So this morning, after I got up and got my creative juices flowing, I stumbled across this gem and the words just came naturally. I didn't have time in between my workout; I mean let's face it, I barely rested more than 45 sec in between sets. Gotta get the burn in! But after wards and on the way home, I typed it up and posted it to my page on Facebook


Here is what I thought of:

What if I told you that you could have a great day or even a great week no matter what?? Would you believe me? Would you believe yourself? Well guess what? You can! You can make that decision without a doubt and I challenge you to make it great this new week. Whatever fears you have- don't. Toss them out because you don't need them where you're going. Get up and get moving and believe you can. Go where you wouldn't take yourself before and stay focused on that goal. Stay inspired! Have a great Monday friends!  #livelearnliftrepeat

The choice is always yours; you can start your week off in whatever fashion you choose. You don't need fears or doubts to succeed or to start a new week fresh, or to just get motivated, so leave everything else behind you. Anything that happened the day before, or any worries you may have for the future; leave it all behind you and start fresh with today. I know I always need a constant reminder of this sometimes; no one is perfect and I would never claim to be myself. And +Taylor Simpson did just that this morning. If you are not following her in instagram, you should. She is AMAZING! @ilikemyfitnesstaylored and tell her I sent you!

People sometimes as me how I stay motivated, and honestly at this point, yes I have off days...days where I literally have to go looking for my motivation (we won't get into that right now). But other than that, it just comes to me. I am definitely a thinker; maybe a mystic in some sense, so to me all it takes is one positive thought. One positive quote or thought that I have in the mornings, and I can go anywhere I want to and do anything I can think of. 

So can you.

That is all it takes to set off a chain reaction of positivity and I promise you will have a good day/week/month that could turn into years. I've hung onto this mantra for a while and I don't intend to quit thinking this way...Change your mind, and you can change your life. Choose to think positively. The positive actions will follow :)

So that's my motivation Monday for today :) I will definitely continue this trend!

For the second thing I wanted to share; I have a ton of recipes I use on a weekly basis. I have tried harder to start posting those for you all, because I know things like this or seeing other blog posts with recipes helped (and still does) me a ton when I started my journey. I am always looking for new recipes to try.

One that is super simple and one of my favs, seriously I could eat these every day....Oh wait. I do actually. Sometimes more than once a day. Roasted Sweet Potatoes. The great thing about this one is that you can do them as fries, cubes, slices, chunks, or whatever shape you heart desires. I have been on a 'cube' kick lately, myself.

And for the amount, it really depends on how much you will personally eat every day or for that week. I use 5-6 large sweet potatoes (I don't know the amount in ounces so don't ask :) ) and it makes 5 4 oz servings for my lunches and I usually have 3-4 4 oz (or close) servings left over for the week. Depending on the size of the potatoes I may have more or less.

Either way -- Here ya go!


Roasted Sweet Potatoes

4-6 large sweet potatoes
olive oil cooking spray
2 tbsp MCT oil (for tossing)
any of the spices: paprika, Ms. Dash Southwest Chipolte,
white or black pepper, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, 
onion powder, garlic powder

Peal, then chop up the sweet potatoes however you like. I started with fry-slices, and like I mentioned, have been on a 'cube' kick lately. Toss them into a large gallon baggie. Then add the MCT oil (or whatever other cooking oil you prefer; I used olive oil before I bought the MCT oil) and toss the potatoes in that. Preheat the oven to 375 (400 if you have electric).

Then add the seasonings to taste. Normally I use onion powder, garlic powder, Ms. Dash Southwest Chipolte, then paprika and pepper if I want more of a kick to it; and if I'm really feeling the 'spicy' taste, then cayenne pepper. I do not measure the amounts! I normally shake it a few times to make sure I have enough to cover the potatoes and just from my own judgement. The garlic you can't go wrong with, and Ms. Dash I use a good bit (maybe tablespoon amounts for those...); but the others, I would use sparingly until you decide what you prefer (start with a teaspoon or less if you have to measure it). 

I did try only the oil and seasoning salt one week and that turned out really yummy too! I wasn't feeling the 'spicy' taste at all, and that hit the spot!

After you add your seasonings, spray the pan with olive oil or other cooking spray and spread out the potatoes evenly. Don't overload the pan or they won't cook all the way. Cook for about 30-40 minutes, flipping once in the middle of the cook time. After about the 30 minute mark, I watch them and take them out once they are a tiny bit golden. Our gas stove sometimes cooks things faster, so make sure to check on them :)


Ta-da! Done, and although detailed, I promise this turns out super yummy! The good thing about cooking is that sometimes, you really don't have to measure things for them to turn out great. I know I prefer it that way haha! Hope you enjoy and if you try it, please comment below and tell me what you think!

Hope you guys have a fantastic day and week ahead! 

Remember, Be Fearless!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining our Motivation Monday link up, I can't wait to follow your journey :)

    Jen from Morning Coffee Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be a part of it!! With all the craziness lately last monday was a no-go! But I'm back :) Thank you for being a huge part in it! Definitely love linking up with everyone!

      Delete
  2. Wow, getting up before 5:00am to go workout freakin amazes me. That is all I know to say...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Girl, you and me both! I am finally-- tomorrow -- ;) getting back to morning cardio. The struggle bus dropped me off this morning around 615 haha! Some days it just doesn't happen!

      Delete
  3. I wish I could get up before 5am to workout! Those sweet potatoes look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice practice practice, and half the time I don't get it right...like today. I went through a phase where it was every day; then something changed. Now it's not as often as it used to be. But if I can when I need to then I count that as a win!

      Aww thanks! I had some today :) They are my fav!

      Delete
  4. Mmm, love the roasted sweet potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! I seriously eat them every day :) I have a 'fry' recipe that I want to try-- now I have to figure out how to broil without a broiler lol

      Delete
  5. How do you get out of bed when your alarm goes off? I am notorious for setting an alarm super early with all intentions to get up (415am) I even set my gym clothes out.. than the alarm goes off and I immediately hit snooze for like the next hour than its time to get up for work.

    Sweet potatoes look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this one, I try not to sleep past 4:30...and I actually got up after the first or second one this day. Now if I try to do that every day, it doesn't happen lol. Sometimes I sleep through them all. I am notorious for not going to bed early enough therefore when the alarm goes off...nope, not happening. LOL. I tried this time every morning for a while and it just wasn't for me...But recently when I moved, we have an apt gym now so I moved the alarm back to around 5:15-5:25 and am trying my darndest to get in bed earlier. Last night i was in bed by 1030, almost going to sleep then...that's HUGE progress for me :) So the later time works better honestly...if I know I need a workout earlier (430ish or so) then I go to bed earlier and just know that I have to get up or I won't get it in...

      Oh they are! I eat them every day :)

      Delete