Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Really Late Weekend Recap: Relaxing and a New Recipe!

Hey everyone! How was your week last week? So I have a confession to make...I started editing this last Sunday when we were home. I didn't even come close to finishing it or care to finish it that night...does that make me a bad person? 



I suppose since we were home all week from Thursday (when we left)- getting home early Friday morning, to this morning when we left about an hour and a half ago- I finally got to a comfortable "vacation state" where I was OK detaching myself from my normal routine and just enjoyed our time together and with family and friends. Now it took me the better half of the week, but the past few days I really did just enjoy myself in every way; food, drinks, not feeling the need to workout- yes shocker but it is good to give your body a break sometimes- and mine rewarded me. (I'll get to that later

Yes I tried to stick to being overall healthy and didn't go overboard at every meal, but I didn't stick to the 90-10 rule (90 clean 10 not) and I'm ok with that. I had way too many treats and didn't get enough protein every day. But really, that's ok. Because you need to enjoy the little things in life and the moments right then and there, because for instance, in my case it will be 9 months before any of those "moments" come around again. So I am enjoying every bit of it right now while still having a balanced, enjoyable life. And as much as it may seem like it, I'm not rationalizing myself. It is necessary to realize from within why you CAN step out of the box or completely stray from the path sometimes. As long as you pick it back up and don't make a habit of it again, then life goes on :) And I am fully ready to kill it when we get back home. 

So since I didn't finish this post before now, I am going to backtrack by editing/finishing it up pretty quick-like, so I can post it for you all. I will apologize in advance for the horrible formatting- I am on my phone and not sure how it will turn out. 😳😁 Then I'll recap the week at home and all the fun, family, friends, and in between afterwards. 

 Back to where I left off, needless to say I did not meal prep last Sunday. Did you guys get any meal prepping done for this past week? I will tell ya, I felt SO strange not prepping last Sunday! And I thought about it more than once; But since we were on vacation I didnt prep and really didn't worry about it. I think it was a great 'exercise' if anything to show myself that I can be healthy in the event that I can't prep; but honestly next time I probably will be prepped because it does ensure that I have plenty of options all the time. This time, I had a few things prepped already that I brought with me and was able to eat pretty well while at home. My hubby's parents and my mom's place usually have fresh things in the house to choose from, we made a trip by the store, and my dads house had good options as well. So I am very lucky to have a family that is fairly healthy the majority of the time. I mean enough for a fit-nut like me to be alright while away from home. 

So as I was thinking back through the Memorial Day weekend to recap, honestly I feel like a boring old couple haha. We didn't do too much over the long holiday weekend. Probably because we wanted to be lazy and relax before we head home for vacation and family time. So we pretty much stayed home, cleaned, and a few other things. But honestly, it was pretty nice being able to catch up on things around the house and spending time together. 




But...the good news is -- I have a new recipe for you! I made it completely on my own! And it actually turned out really good if I do say so myself. And the hubby even said it was approved to put on the blog :) lol. 



I know right?! 😜



So with that, Friday evening after I made it through the really odd storm that happened to land right over Manhattan when I was on the way to tan. It was pretty cool...so I videoed it. Yeah I know I'm a dork. It's ok ;) 


But when I got home, Scotty had actually forgotten dinner was in the crockpot. Luckily I reminded him! What would he do without me? ;) Originally, I wanted to make Natalie Hodson's Everything Chicken. Which is a GREAT staple meal to have ingredients for. And you probably already have the ingredients for it in your house, so definitely head on over and check it out.   So, that morning I got everything out for it in kind-of a rush but I had a few minutes to put it all together, so no big deal! Well, without thinking I grabbed the ingredients...salt and pepper, lemon juice, garlic...etc, threw the chicken, tomatoes, and water in the crockpot and was about to add the lemon juice...I poured it into the 1/4 cup and held it over the crockpot...Lemon juice, right? 
NOPE! 
Lime juice. Yep. Then what happened??? I accidentally sneezed! No, not in the food Haha! So you guessed it- in goes the lime juice! No turning back now! So I made like when life hands you limes, and attempted lemonade! LOL!  Definitely was texting my husband on the way to work that morning..."So, if dinner doesn't turn out...it's not my fault." ;) 
Lucky for you, it turned out!
Ingredients
  • 4-5 Chicken Breasts (I used frozen because I was leaving it in there longer than 4-5 hours)
  • 1 can Low Sodium Organic Diced Tomatoes (Or 1 whole chopped tomato)
  • Use the tomato can - add 1/2 can water
  • 1 can no salt added corn (check the label!)
  • 1/2 chopped onion if you want
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
  • Thin layer of garlic powder and onion powder sprinkled on top (I will measure this next time, but you can't really go wrong with these spices)
  • Sprinkle minced garlic on top
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp seasoned salt and white pepper (to taste - I did not measure, only sprinkled a small amount on top)
Add all ingredients to crockpot. Frozen chicken if you need to leave the crockpot on for a long period of time (Ex: I leave mine on from 7 am to at least 6 pm because of my job -- cooking for 6-8 hours). Cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. When done, you can "cut"/shred the chicken with a fork. It will fall apart by this time. 
My hubby likes his on the Simple Truth White Corn Tortilla chips with cheese and sour cream, and I like to have it on lettuce, on chips, or by itself like I did here. I topped it with fresh Pico, a little shredded Colby-Jack cheese, salsa, and a tbsp of Fage Greek yogurt. 
Ingredients
  • 1 carton of Cherry tomatoes - chopped
  • 1 chopped/seeded jalapeno
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
Mix everything up; we mixed the lime juice and garlic powder together first. Enjoy!
And I liked the chicken so much, that I wanted to try it again for lunches that week. I added the minced garlic and onion powder this time around and it had even more flavor! You can always add what you wish; I prefer not to add too much extra sodium to my meals. The Simple Truth Organic black beans I used are also not too bad as far as sodium goes, but fresh is always good! These have only 3 ingredients. You can see where I used them before in this blog post
So the rest of the weekend was pretty normal, nothing too special. Just a bit of time with friends and relaxing, and other stuff. We slept in some on Saturday and I fixed pancakes for lunch- yeah it was about that time when we got up. Oops! One of those #sorrynotsorry things I guess lol. 
I can never get tired of pancakes. When we get back from our trip home, I'll see about making this into a waffle recipe. Sounds like a plan! I topped mine with MCT oil to keep them 'moist', sugar free syrup, and 1 cup strawberries. Mmmmm! 
Then I went to the gym like normal and came home and we got groceries and tried out a new burger place by the grocery store. And it was ah-mazing! Definitely have to remember that for future treat meals. It was Fantastic! And the sweet potato fries were great too. Overall it seemed like a pretty fresh, good quality place to get a burger. The nutritional specifics are on the site, but other than a fresh guarantee the site was a bit vague.  Nonetheless it was a treat and it was yummy. 
The next day, Sunday, we had a barbecue at the house and had some friends over. Nothing too special, a TON of good food from grilled chicken legs, twice baked potatoes, grilled veggies, and a lot of other yummy things people brought. Definitely didn't get the spread (my bad) but I did get my share of good food for the day and we had plenty of leftovers from the people who had better things to do. Whatevs! It was still fun for us and the people who did join us! Not our loss for darn sure ;)
Earlier that day me and Scotty made sure to take a few moments to remember the real reason why we got an extra day off that weekend. Hope you all did too! Barbecues are nice n all but you know...
And I did have a pretty good and quick HIIT/Tabata session Sunday before our guests showed up. I'll post it soon too! I seriously made it up as I went but it was awesome! 
Monday we laid around and did some chores like laundry folding...but mostly were kinda lazy until that afternoon when we decided we wanted to go golfing. First it was just the driving range, then we decided to play a whole game. And dumb me remembered everything (including a meal to eat and snacks) but sunscreen! So I had a nice sunburn afterwards, but it's all good. I have a nice tan going for once from both golf trips we've made the past two weeks.
It was so nice outside I'm glad we went! Even though I got frustrated; it's going to take some practice. We had a good time playing and it was great spending time with my hubby and having him there to help me learn. 
It's always great to get out and active, doing different fitness activities besides your normal routine. Your body will thank you from switching things up. It provides a nice shock, kinda like when you change your routine in the weight room. 
And since we got out so late in the afternoon, we didn't get home and have dinner until late. So meal prep seriously got moved to like 730. 😁 not ideal, and I did not want to do it. But I did. And that means I was successful for that week. Especially with packing to go home, I am glad I had meals and leftovers ready to eat when I needed it.  
If you don't give yourself an excuse to fail then you will be successful in your journey. I have been saying from the beginning when I learned this was what was holding me back-- fail to plan and you can plan to fail. There is no excuse to eat "bad food" if you are prepared with good healthy foods. You can create the best self you are striving for if you believe you can and plan accordingly. 😃 The 'diet' will be that key that opens the door to see all of your great efforts in the gym. Don't get stuck without a plan! 
Did you guys have a good Memorial Day weekend? I know I am super late but I promise I will make it up to you! Comment below and tell me about your week! Until next time! #livelearnliftrepeat

4 comments:

  1. Both of your recipes look delicious and right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to hear it :) I like easy and yummy lol!

      Delete
  2. I chuckled when you wrote "add a thin layer " and "I will measure this next time" in your recipes because I never measure either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yep that's how my "measurements" go! Ah well- sometimes I think it turns out better that way :)

      Delete