Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Clean Shopping, Meal Prep Twist & Care Package #1

Hey Y'all! Guess what??? It's HUMP Day! 


We are half way there! Phew! I hate to say it but some weeks, I count down to the weekend. I hate to wish weeks away but geez...lol. Anyone feel me? Sometimes it's not so bad, but with the happenings at work lately; I will spare you the details! Let's just keep it at that. ;)

So I have a few things to share with you today, so let's get on with it!

First off HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Fitness Blondie!!! Y'all go tell her a huge Happy Birthday (Click this picture) and tell her who sent you!

The Hump Day Blog Hop

And, Yep you guessed it! Time to LINK UP with her too! Click the link and go check out all the awesome blogs and co-host!! But first, stick around for a bit if you want :)


So quite a few people ask me what I eat normally, and I want to do a separate post for that and go into detail eventually. For now, I managed to snag a few shots of my basket at the store this weekend. I also want to do a full and comprehensive grocery list for you guys too! I'd ultimately like it in .PDF form so you can print it and take it with you. Tosca Reno has a great one that I LOVED when I found it a while back. It had things on it that I hadn't seen before Here is hers for now :)


So originally when I started clean eating, my grocery list wasn't even half of this (above), and what I thought was "pretty clean" wasn't what I needed to be eating to meet my goals. Until I found my trainer and he gave me a black and white, plain list with a macro plan and said "alright, this is what you get to try," and I said "OK here goes!" Lol. 


Seriously, it was a turning point for me. Then I started really looking for other options for food I "could eat" and recipes, websites, lists, what ever I could get my hands on that sounded better than plain food. And really you have to in order to find what you like and what will work for your everyday. My everyday looks the same, except for dinners...But that doesn't work for everyone. 

Now I am at the point where I pretty much am capable on my own, calculating and adjusting on a normal basis, with a check-in or visit here and there and when I can. :)

I also like to think I have gotten pretty flexible, maybe not as much as some but to me that is OK because I like what I do and eat, and I have a great handle on it. I started out pretty strict and eventually learned how to mix it up and still hit my goals everyday.

Now I can have things I like every day and can also have treats and things like that too (whether it's cookies or something I enjoy) because it fits. So I guess you can say I am a pretty 'clean-iifym-eater' which is really what I do anyways. I like to stick to a 90-10, 90% clean and 10% unclean ratio just about every day. Some days more or less and it works for me without restricting myself or feeling like I am too 'limited' in choices. 

Anyways that may be too much for now, so on to the groceries! What do I normally shop for? Last week's grocery shopping was kinda boring, just needed the basics so nothing too exciting. But it is the basics and that will definitely get you started!


  • Ground turkey was BOGO at Dillons so DUH! I bought like 4 packages. Now I am using two packages for 5 meals (mid-afternoon or lunch every day). 
  • Normally 2 packages of chicken tenderloins (about 3. something lbs each i think maybe less) No I don't buy organic all the time...Personally, my budget says NO WAY! lol ;) If you can then awesome!
  • One was chicken breasts because they were out of tenders after the one package.
  • turkey bacon for weekend breakfasts
  • liquid egg whites and 2 doz eggs (they were on sale vs. buying 1.5 doz)
  • frozen veggies (cheaper most of the time unless you buy from the farmers market) I bought broccoli and green beans
  • brown rice (instant or regular)
  • this week's fresh veggies: bell peppers (FAV!), salad, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions
  • Always sweet potatoes! 
  • Condiments and seasonings last week: regular Pace salsa, low sodium Teryaki sauce for my chicken breasts, Weber Just Add Juice Garlic & Herb Marinade Mix (LOVE this one I found a few weeks ago), low sodium soy sauce because they were out of low sodium Tamari (I also use Bragg's liquid aminos for flavor normally; this is for a dish), fried rice seasoning and I think that's it for those
  • Fruits: nectarines, strawberries, frozen blueberries (the week before last I bought apples and grapefruits). I wanted cherries but they looked kinda yucky! 
  • Oh and there was a pint of Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake Icecream  :)
  • A few tuna travel packets
  • 2 cans of Rotel for salsa chicken (the ingredients are clean even though some hate using canned tomatoes, I digress!)


So there you have it! A grocery trip with me! There are many things that I also keep in the house, but I won't go there today!

Annnnd then! 


I was getting really bored with plain rice in my meals; I may have mentioned that recently. So on a whim I was craving stir-fry and boy did that sound good for lunches! So wha-BAM! Meal Prep NOT-Boring style! 

Sometimes you just have to change it up. Plus I LOVE when me and the hubby make this for dinner! Normally, we add chicken, shrimpies, and steak, plus corn, broccoli, and onion to it (he is a picky-veggie eater). This time I did it slightly different since it was for meals. So I bring you: 


Zucchini Fried Rice

Here is what you'll need:

- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1 zucchini squash chopped (I chopped very fine in Ninja!)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 pouches brown rice, made about 4 cups
 (Next time I will use regular brown rice - 2 cups)
(sodium was eh; I may try to clean it up...)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce 
(I SO just noticed the packet called for 2 tsp oops!)
- 2 tbsp MCT oil or other cooking oil



So chop up your veggies, cook the rice and let it sit or refrigerate until it cools off** (this is important).



Then scramble eggs in a bowl.I actually scrambled mine in a separate pan and set aside. The package said to do this in the same pan, pushing the rice to the side...I'm no chef so I did it the Rachel-way haha.


- Put oil in a pan and let it warm-up. Then add rice, zucchini, onion to the pan and 'stir-fry' for about 2-3 minutes (cook, tossing, until the rice is coated and cooked a tad more).
- Either scramble the eggs in a separate pan then add, or push the rice the the side then scramble the eggs and mix into the rice after scrambling. (OR you could try scrambling first with the oil like Rachel Ray recommends on a recipe...)
- Then add the egg, seasoning, and soy sauce, and stir-fry for another minute. 
- DONE! Fried Rice :D





**I will make one point here and this past weekend I learned this (don't laugh at me lol)...make sure you cool the rice! I tried regular rice cooked in the rice cooker and didn't let it cool...Well let's just say this week's fried rice is not so..."fried" :/ haha!


After I got done meal prepping that Sunday night, I was craving a pizza so I made a personal one! Well, two, but who's counting...Who wants that recipe???


Yep it was leg day that Sunday; this was a quick "let's taker a selfie and not get caught" lol. Yeah it's like that every now and then...

The last thing I want to share with you all might appeal to a more broad array of readers. I am an Army wife as well so I will be sharing with you guys various things throughout the deployment. If you didn't know my hubby is deployed right now then click here and get caught up :)

So naturally I HAVE to send him treats and things to make sure he knows how much I miss him. And to make him feel and semblance of home while he is away. 

Ready, 1, 2, 3...AWWWWW! ;) I kid! But this is Care Package #1:


I won't tell the reason for this theme, but you might could imagine a 'taste of home' was in order. I think I nailed it. 



And among the goodies in the box, here are a few things I included with personalized notes of course!



His favorites candy and some recent favorites


And a few other things...

Even his very own Personal Air Conditioning system! lol. This one had a mini fan attached. And the other side of the tag said something like "or for your personal entertainment." I crack myself up!


And I wasn't going to include this picture...but for this sake-- they will take these away. So no water guns. Didn't even cross my mind. 

About to have a few more finished this weekend! Yay for deployment activities!



Hope you guys have a great HUMP Day! And look out in a little bit for the #wowlinkup post! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh honey thank you so much for the birthday shout out. You are awesome. Your meal plans are so on point and I love the idea for the zucchini fried rice - I have got to make that next week and incorporate it in my meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome :D glad I could send you the birthday wish! I always love your blogs and am happy to give back any way I can! Aww thanks! The meal prep/planning is pretty easy most of the time. And I like this switch up so I may keep looking for new things. I definitely get bored at times. Awesome! Let me know if you think up a 'cleaner' version. I may try to come up with one soon :)

      Delete