Monday, July 28, 2014

How to stay motivated?

Hey guys and gals!! How are we doing this Monday??? 

Mine was off to a rough start considering my carpool left me...although it isn't entirely "aww poor Rachel" (because Rachel was late...), since there hasn't been a standard "let's meet time" lately, I don't consider this entirely my fault either. Either way, my 'getting up early' skills will be getting a fine-tuning this week. :) Hopefully...

So when I saw this, this morning; and considering everything in my life lately, I thought it was very fitting.

Good morning #fitfam Hope you guys had a good weekend! Have a great Monday today!  some days it's ok to just let that gym time be you time. Even I fall off the "fitness wagon" every now and then. Keep pushing through!


Anyways, there was a little monday #motivation now onto the big #MOTIVATION :D


So I want to talk about something that I have been asked many times. And many times I give the same answer...sometimes in a different 'terminology' or what have you. All to this question, you probably guessed it, "How do I stay motivated?" 

Now this can be in the form of, "how are you always so positive" or "how do I get there" or "Man, I could never be that motivated all the time" or even the "man, I could NEVER DO THAT." 

Stop it.



Stop it right now.



Yes YOU CAN!!!! 


I have had this idea in my head for a while, and like always, there is no better time than the present to chat. Occasionally I have to give myself a swift kick in the rear and reset too...Just like you! Sometimes the going gets tough; and when that happens, its best that the tough just get going!


So the week before last, admittedly, I had a pretty down attitude one night after a very overwhelming event I attended...It was right after work so I skipped the gym, after having trouble sleeping again, and all around got into a funk. Down and out, not motivated, the doubt set in about things and life...the list went on; although I did want to go to the gym, I didn't...and what did I want to do??? 

I wanted to eat. 

That was my scapegoat for a while after we moved in 2012 when I was down and out about moving and all that (check out more on that here) and when I was growing up I was also the 'grazer,' which still stuck up until I changed my habits. And it can be DISASTROUS! On you waistline and your psyche.

So how do you fix this? Well, my simple answer is to DIG DEEP and find it. No one can make you want it. Some would say "you have to want it bad enough" and I used to agree with this...But honestly, you can want it more than the person next to you. You know what matters more? 


What you do about it. 


"Well what do you mean Rachel?"

Well, honestly there is no simple answer because everyone is different and different things will motivate different people in different ways. You have to dig deep down inside of yourself and find that thing that speaks to you. 



Here are some tips that always help me in times like last week...and the week before:
  • Remember why you started. We often forget this little point. Or maybe this has turned into something bigger that we simply forget because of the distractions standing in our way. Remind yourself of your purpose or goals for this journey or specific event. 
  • Banish doubts you may have about whatever you are doing, are afraid of doing (see below), have done; or anything pertaining to the sort. Just erase them because YOU CAN do anything you put your mind to. Now I may have already mentioned this won't be easy...but that doesn't mean you can't.
  • Face your fears. Plain and simple. Just do it. And finish something. 
  • Browse Pinterest or instagram for motivational ideas. I like to search for "fitness motivation" on Pinterest or motivational quotes. It never fails, and you may notice this, I always find something that speaks to me or how I feel or what I am going through at that point in time. I use that to drive me forward and to help me pull it from within. Always works!
  • Positive self-talk or thinking. Telling yourself how awesome you are or why you will succeed can be a very helpful practice every day towards having a positive outlook and staying confident in you endeavors.
  • Text a friend or family member. I have a few 'go-tos' for this. And a few new friends that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I can text and they will say something encouraging. A support system, whether it be social media or through another form of communication and interaction is SO important while on your journey, and in life period. Or if you need to...
  • Talk it out with a close friend or family member. I know when my hubby is not around, and even when he is sometimes I tend towards calling my mom because she always gives great words of wisdom and advice. Different than just a short text to a friend. And it's amazing how much our elders can teach us about things we may think we know already (hint youngins! ;) )
  • Get rest. Now a power nap might do you well, but if you are exhausted or running off little sleep, DO NOT try to push through a hard workout. You will only be hurting yourself and maybe your journey by taking it too far. Yes, sometimes we have to get things done; but when I see someone post on instagram how they "only got 3-4 hours of sleep, but are in the gym anyways" doing what sounds like a hard training session, it REALLY irritates me. You are only hurting yourself by doing this. Your body cannot grow into something great without proper rest. Trust me, I speak from the place of "only 3-4 hours sleep" and after a while, you just can't do it. Take some time off to rejuvenate and get the rest you need. 
  • Relax or do something you enjoy. Recently I went to the tanning bed in the evening (I know some people frown upon it) because it relaxes me and I enjoy laying in either the sun or under the warm bulbs. The beach is always a favorite place of mine and this is as close as it gets to Kansas!
  • Stop worrying about things, because this may be affecting your motivation levels. Stress can affect our current physical state as well as our mental state. The more we stress over daily problems, or other maybe bigger issues, the more literal 'stress' it puts on our body and mind. Long-term stress, or chronic stress, can have detrimental effects on your health. Don't worry about the things you can't change, and do something about the things you can change. Or as that Bass that used to hang on my Dad's living room wall would say...



There is no right or wrong answer to this question really, and there are a ton more things you could do to help keep the motivation going long term. 


What are some things you do to stay motivated?


Happy Monday y'all! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment