Monday, September 29, 2014

All about that Bass.

Hey there everybody!

I have to tell ya...I kinda felt like this up until I got to Facetime with my hubby earlier today. 




Monday was hitting me pretty hard after my drive in this morning. And normally, you know I am usually one to kick Monday in the rear and start the week off right. I won't bore you with the old "my drive sucks" speech anymore. It does, but there isn't much I can do about it right now I suppose. No use in giving myself a pity party because of this deployment either. So with that, we move on to what I really want to talk about...As we exhale out all the bad, we inhale good and move on. Right? 

RIGHT!



I am sure all of you have heard this song...All About That Bass



And it has caused a bit of stir among some bloggers and people I follow on Facebook and Instagram, just to name a few folks. But even more so, like a whole lot more people, including myself...I think this song is awesome!

Now, don't get me wrong. I see it from both sides, as far as how it could be offensive (I say that with no sarcasm I promise!). But I think those people are missing the 'big picture' by getting offended. Just hear me out...And I can certainly speak from experience when I tell you I have always been all treble and no bass or maybe just none of either, since I can remember. So to all those "skinny bisches" like she says, yep! I have always been one in "that group" and was proud of it as long as I can remember.


Reference example 1. Haha, I couldn't help using the picture with my friend Brian in the background creepin! Hi Brian! But you see...I've always been skinny. No bass for sure and no semblance of anything that might be mistaken for "curves" until high school maybe, and then before my journey when I had gained all of the body fat; but even then...no "real curves" on my person. I was never blessed with that. And not to go onto a soap box here, but the usual "oh but you're skinny you don't have to worry about..." don't even get me started. And no it is not cool to tell someone to "eat a cheeseburger." I never needed to with the appetite I had have! I don't care if you're skinny, big, square, or a circle; each person will have a separate struggle and different insecurities even  with what appears to be a "perfect" set of circumstances, so let's go ahead and squash that one right now. 

And yep, I was the nerd with glasses! #embracethenerd would be a great hashtag for that one! 

We all stumble ;)

And even when I am "taking up a lot of space," I'm really not that big even then. This picture from a few Christmases ago always cracks me up. I was really trying to fall down the staircase to my immediate right haha! And now that I think about it, it brings me a whole different meaning to this almost fall. The good news is those jeans I'm wearing in this picture went out with the last sack I sold to Rockstar and Rodgers! Hold that thought though. 

So when I first heard this song I thought it was amazing! One reason is for some time now, I have been working on building my 'bass' pretty dang hard. Without going into the aesthetics vs. fitness debate, one of my goals is to build that area and make it stronger from my obvious history of what I thought was not a lot of leg muscle. Simple as that. 

You might can tell from at least some of my workouts posts here, or if you follow me on instagram or facebook; you see I am a huge advocate of two leg days a week, and some really heavy glute focused exercises too! Sometimes one could do more, and even I have been guilty of doing squats and other leg-combo movements on say maybe shoulder day...

But besides all that bass, (you see what I did there) my main reason for loving this song so much and what I think the take away point from this song is the fact that she is empowering women. Yes, a lighthearted joke or two that could be taken offensively are thrown in there like the line, Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that. No I'm just playingThis kind of thing is what people get distracted by though. Instead of hearing, 

I know you think you're fat  
But I'm here to tell ya 

Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top
This is the real message she is trying to relay, in my humble opinion. And often times we lose sight of that even if we are the "offended group." I mean hell, even people still call me skinny. I just kindly correct them and say "was skinny, now I am strong." Sometimes and more before than now, I did get offended but I can't blame them for not knowing my life goals or journey at that point in time. It doesn't matter where you are in your journey, maybe you haven't even started yet; no matter what you look like, let's all agree on one thing: 

You ARE perfect no matter what. 


See, now what's offensive about that? Like I said before, and especially after reading a bit more about Trainor, all she is trying to do is empower women. We all should be doing more of that. Let the media do their job with comparisons and the judging or stereotypes; but don't let them sway you from what you know deep down and maybe what your mom taught you (like mine taught me)...and that is to always treat others with kindness and to be an encourager. People do a good enough job on their own of tearing themselves and others down. 



And after looking into it further, I think not taking the song literally in ways it wasn't supposed to be taken is the best thing we can do for ourselves and for others. It causes less drama because we do not interrupt our inner peace with conflict (thank you to +Taylor Simpson for always reinforcing that point!) and further, we don't disturb others with conflict either. I have been taking this approach to heart for a while now and it does make one a much happier, more grounded person. I think you might agree too once I tell you what I found. I was never doubting the 'assumed' purpose behind this song, and now I certainly won't. An article written by The Boston Globe and then one in billboard cite a simple quote from Trainor that explains it all:

“I don’t consider myself a feminist, but I’m down for my first opportunity to say something to the world to be so meaningful. If you asked me, ‘What do you want to say?’ it would be, ‘Love yourself more.’ ”

So that is my motivation. To always encourage women no matter what size or shape you are. And if you want to build more of all that bass or whatever you are trying to be better at, then more power to you! 


I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop
We know that shit ain't real
C'mon now, make it stop
If you got beauty building, just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top




One thing is for sure, no matter what goals you have, or what part of your better self you are trying to build, I will ALWAYS stand behind you and cheer you on!

So, you've heard my take on this, what do you think? I would love to chat with you about it below!


Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard about this song before, tagged by a friend but never pay much attention on the lyric. :) Thanks for passing the positive vibe.

    Bless,
    herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I had never heard it but then it stuck to me like white on rice haha! Now I can't get enough of the song! And you ladies are so great I am SO sorry I didnt get back to the comments sooner! Sometimes that is a weakness of mine. But I'm getting better! Thanks so much lady! I'll definitely stop by your page too!

      Delete
  2. It is funny how things can be misconstrued when a message is meant to be uplifting. While I listened to the lyrics I didn't think she was being offensive at all. I could see how it could be taken that way when she referred to skinny Barbie.

    What people don't understand is that it is offensive to make references like "eat a cheeseburger" or "you are lucky to have good genes" or "you don't have kids". You are right. All of us have struggles and nobody knows what a person may be going through so why not empower each other. Congratulate on positive changes.

    Congratulations to you on your changes as well. I know it is difficult to build muscle coming from a small frame. It sounds like you may have a fast metabolism - which is great if all you want to do is eat more food (I know I do- LOL) but when the goal is to build muscle it is more difficult. So congrats on your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I feel you. That is so common nowadays, but too it's about the perspective of the person. A lot of people are out to get offended ya know? I hate to say it but positivity is seriously lacking in some people. I agree! Those are the comments than can cut a person deep sometimes, but in the end people really don't understand and see a need to voice their opinion anyways ya know. It's sad. Exactly! The world has enough critics already.

      Aww thank you! It's hard work for sure! Yes ma'am I do!! Very fast and it takes everything I have to eat faster than my metabolism haha! A bad problem to have sometimes lol! Yep I sure do love eating but dang sometimes i wonder! ;) Sure is! Thanks so much!!

      Delete