Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Spaghetti Squash in less than 15 minutes!

Hey everybody!

So if you saw the Weekend Recap from last night, then you see I decided on a topic! I wasn't sure and still have so many good ones to share, but this was an awesome one and SO easy to make; so naturally I have to let you in on it too! 

I made this the week before last (I think...lol) and it was really yummy! And as you will see, it took no time to make! I seriously made it after the gym and had dinner ready (and eaten) before 930 pm! Which is pretty good for me on a gym night!



Ta-Da! Spaghetti Squash ready in a flash!

can you tell this is my favorite show? :)

Just like that! Te-he!

So here is what you'll need!

- Plastic wrap
- A Pyrex pan big enough to fit your squash (or any microwavable safe dish)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Sauce for topping or cooking oil of your choice (if you are eating plain)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water (1/2 cup or enough to fill the bottom of your dish)





First, slice your squash in half (long-ways) and scrape out the seeds and fibers using a large spoon.

Then place squash halves in your dish, cut side up. Then fill the dish with either 1/2 c water or enough to cover the bottom of the pan (about a half inch up). Just enough to steam the squash. 



Then attempt picture #1 and fail because of the microwave door. ;) Just kidding! But seriously. 

Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in microwave for around 7-8 minutes depending on the size of your squash. Mine was fairly small and I ended up putting it in for a few more minutes after this. Around 10 minutes total should do just fine for a smaller squash. But check after this to gauge "doneness."


If you would like it more "done" (as this was the first time trying this for me) then place back in microwave for a few more minutes. Be Careful checking it after heating! The steam under the plastic will be very hot! I may or may not have found this out the hard way. 


Then uncover your squash and allow to cool for a few minutes.


Spoon out 'strands' of squash into a bowl, then season with salt and pepper if you like. You can also toss in a bit of olive oil for flavor, top with Parmesan cheese and eat this way as a side dish. 



Or, I had healthy and pretty clean spaghetti sauce thawed out and ready to go in the fridge. So I threw it in a pan and heated on the stove for an easy dinner! 




YUM!


 I am planning to make it again soon because I would have loved to post the recipe here! But...seeing as how I don't really measure when I cook, I need to be sure of the amounts before posting that recipe haha! Spaghetti sauce will always get better the longer you let it simmer and this recipe I ate here was so good! Now if I can remember what I did...




In the meantime, and probably tonight I have another spaghetti squash to cook and am planning on making pesto! That's fresh basil from the farmer's market in that bag! So stay tuned! 


 Have you ever cooked spaghetti squash? What's your favorite method and toppings?



Femme Fitale Fit Club

And remember to head on over to the #wowlinkup and check out the awesome posts! Since I just found out we have theme weeks, you guys may get something completely different next week! Until next time! Hope you guys have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't cooked spaghetti squash yet but I might give it a go after seeing your post. I've heard about it but didn't realize how simple it is to make. Thanks! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Yes ma'am! Sure is!! I made it again last night with some pesto and after finishing the whole bowl, I regretted not taking a pic of my seemingly "not so good" pesto because it was yummy with a little parmesan! I think that is what it was missing lol. You're so welcome! I will definitely check out your #wowlinkup post too! Need to get on my comments for the week :D

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I have a giant butternut squash I have no idea what to do with. I gotta get up on my squash game, it's so tasty! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a friend who found a recipe on pinterest for butternut squash soup...could be an idea :) I know it was from a restaurant she had the dish at. It really is! I haven't tried butternut or acorn; the "funky" ones in my opinion lol. But I am not shy at all! Tis the season of fall, maybe I should try new things!

      Delete
  3. I never had it but your post makes it seem very doable so pinning your post for the future. I hear it is really good according to a couple of my clients. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so doable! I had tried once before (months ago) in the oven, but the squash was actually bad. Didnt slice open until after. But it took so long I never tried it again, until I read the tiny label that came with the squash that actually suggested the microwave! Who knew?! lol. I think so! Very versatile and doesn't stand out (flavor) too much on it's own especially with a sauce.

      Delete
  4. I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE spaghetti squash. I can eat it day in and day out. As far as recipe, you basically just told us. A little of this, a little of that voila!!! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found a serious love for it too! Before I avoided it and now I will probably have it every week bc I can eat more of it than pasta lol! Aww thanks! Yep, that's pretty much how I cook ;)

      Delete
  5. Mmm I love spaghetti squash but I've never done it in the microwave. Great idea! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! Yeah I hadn't either. I mean my mom microwaved a lot of things when I was younger so I was bound to figure it out sooner or later. The sooner the better in this case. A must share! :D

      Delete