Thursday, October 2, 2014

Clean Beef and Broccoli + Link-ups!

Happy day after Hump Day!!! 


Guess what that means? Not only do did I get to hit legs yesterday (even though after a Tuesday rest day it's normally shoulders) -- I just LOVE legs so much!! Haha! There's a throwback to Sunday's leg day for ya! 

But, that also means we have hit passed the halfway point until the weekend!



Man I sure do love that countdown! More than I love coming to work, but hey who doesn't??? ;)


Anyways, so I have had this recipe posted on my Recipe tab for some time now, and surprisingly I didn't have a draft post up for it! That list is always getting longer I swear. I made it in the crockpot the day before yesterday and it is always SO good! I ate it that next night and last night for dinner. Maybe tonight too...I'm not picky and surely will eat all the yummy leftovers. 

A long time ago, a favorite blogger of mine Little B posted a clean beef and broccoli recipe that I love and make often. A while back I started modifying this recipe and have made it into a slightly different version, but both taste wonderful. So I will always give credit where credit is due, and for this one it has to go to her! So make sure to head on over to her page at some point and check out her recipes! Leave her a comment and tell her I sent you! :) I know she would love to have you!




don't mind all the supplements sitting on the counter and my bowl of protein bars haha! ;)


Here is what you need: 




- 1 lb lean/trim beef stew meat 
or lean chopped steak
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 Videlia onion, chopped 
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce 
OR
- 1/4 c Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white pepper (this makes a difference!)
-optional: Chili Paste
1 package fresh broccoli 
or 2 fresh stalks, chopped
- 5-6 baby red potatoes, quartered




Here is the awesome Chicken broth I have been using for everything and is tastes great without being filled with crap! 


My husband actually came back from the store one day with it, and I was SO proud! He did great, I mean look at the label! Such a good hubby!


And I switched this recipe to using Bragg's some time ago (I mean these pictures were taken when we were in the house still...maybe back in March.) Obviously you can see why...




Yes don't get me wrong, the Tamari tastes AMAZING! And even the low sodium is yummy (this is regular sodium content); but come on...Eeek! It almost pains me to read soy sauce (or similar) labels lol! Low sodium soy sauce is a bit better, and as I mentioned in the ingredients list, it can be used as an alternative to Bragg's. But let me tell you a secret...even my hubby liked it with Bragg's and he is super picky!

So what you do is combine all ingredients the night before in a Tupperware container big enough to fit everything. Except the broccoli and red potatoes. 



Then chop up the broccoli and place in a bowl of cold water for 5 mins. I always do this with my vegetables to ensure they are clean. 


Then drain and put in a zip-lock baggie in the fridge. You won't need this until after the main dish is finished cooking the following day. Chop up your potatoes (and place in baggie in the fridge) that night as well, because you will need these in the morning. 


Then place everything from the Tupperware container in the crock-pot then next morning, and set on low for 5-6 hours. Usually mine has to sit longer on account of me not getting home until after 8 pm (I leave around 7 am), and it is always fine. The meat just falls apart by the time I get there to spoon it out. Put another cup of chicken broth in the mix if you plane to do this. 



About 30 minutes before you get ready to eat, place the broccoli in the crock-pot and mix it all up. Let it cook (with the lid) for another 30 mins stirring occasionally or until the broccoli is how you like it. I like crunchy, not soggy broccoli so 30 minutes is sometimes too long.  


Then you're ready to eat! 


See what I mean ^ the meat just breaks up completely but it still tastes awesome!


What are some of your go-to recipes? 
I am always looking for new ones! Comment and leave me a link below so I can check it out. If it's yummy I can always share it on my Facebook page!



And I know this was yesterday's link-ups, but it really is an enjoyable part of my so busy week to participate in them, so we are doing it anyways. Better late than never!

We are not only going to do the two normal link-ups for Wednesday, but I came across another one some time ago by Kathy over at Vodka and Soda so we are linking up with those gals too! I think all of you will love these options!


Vodka and Soda





Have a great Thursday!

10 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful! I don't know if we have Bragg's in Canada.. will have to find some somewhere... I normally just use a low sodium tamari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks!! I know you can get it online if not :) The low sodium soy sauce is a great alternative too. I use this sometimes! I know the original recipe for this uses low sodium tamari.

      Delete
  2. That looks very easy to make. I like beef and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely is! Especially when you put everything in the container the night before! My kinda of dinner :) Me too!

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love crockpot recipes that you can set and forget in the morning. Nothing like a warm dinner that's ready the SECOND you walk in the door at night :) #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the beef and broccoli meals you get in Chinese restaurants, It looks tasty. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be very close! :D It is definitely great every time! Sometimes I will add new veggies too for a spin on it.

      Delete