Thursday, August 27, 2015

Foam Rolling! Love to Hate it.

Hey everyone!

Wanted to pop in today while I am taking an early lunch before my 4 HOUR meeting! I know...Don't even get me started. What we are talking about for 4 hours I have no idea...meeting ended up lasting 2 hours but still!! I hope you all had a great day! 


But the reason for today's post is because I want to talk about something that we all may love to hate. 







Now if you don't do this already - go out today and buy yourself a foam roller because you need it! So Foam Rolling...


If you've never heard of this, foam rolling is a method to 'roll out' and loosen up the muscles after working out or any sort, also known as Self-myofascial release. The scientific facts behind this tell us that self-myofascial release aims to relax contracted muscles, improve blood and lymphatic circulation, and stimulate the stretch reflex in muscles. By putting this pressure on muscles with foam rolling, we are able to also recover faster! 


For a lot of you, you may find that you hold stress in certain areas too. This in combination with tight muscles can cause knots or trigger points in our muscles that have to be worked out too and you know when you hit those because they cause pain when trying to work them out. You can utilize foam rolling to release this as well - and sometimes like this morning it hurts! I had waited a few weeks to foam roll before tis morning and when I got to my outer quad sweep I almost cried (I had done legs today hardcore). Lesson to the wise: foam roll often! When you don't release the tension it can build and build; plus the torn muscle tissue needs recovery and lactic acid build-up has to be released in order for us to recover fully. My husband and I have also taken to initiative to get regular massages to reduce stress and treat our bodies more to this tension release for better health and recovery. And boy is that nice! Also, regular cardio after hard workouts can help to release the lactic acid. I would also recommend regular stretching! 



And to go a little bit further into the reasons behind this for you guys - if we ignore the fascia tissue and don't properly stretch out or release the tension, we are not doing ourselves any good. Stretching out the fascia tissue, or the layer of connective tissue surrounding your muscles, bones and joints, will help with flexibility, strength, performance and pain relief. So, bottom line is, if you want to get bigger, perform better, move faster and get stronger, I suggest paying attention to these huge parts of your health and fitness! I think we will do a follow up on Fascial Stretching for you too!



With foam rolling, you are able to control the pressure and process really and let's face it, you know your body best! I even rolled out my abs yesterday. You are able to foam roll just about any muscle group, and the big ones especially need it! I even put a roller on a wall sometimes and will roll out my arms and shoulders. 


So foam rolling, needless to say, is especially important for lifters. We do so much damage and put our muscles through so much every day that we need to take the time to also rehabilitate as much as we work. I know after lifting for 1-1.5 hours a day and then cardio, in addition to sitting at a desk all day plus the stress that tightens my neck...You see where this is going. We are hard on ourselves! And I have taken the initiative lately to put myself first in every aspect of my life - professional life coming soon! - especially my health. 


I hope I was able to provide some info for ya as well as maybe teach you something new! If you like it definitely subscribe on the right and you can receive updates via email!

And I really wanted to give a shoutout to my friend Diatta over at Femme Fitale Fitclub for Workout Wednesdays but I just didn't finish this in time. Im also moving this weekend as well as helping friends with resumes! Jack of all trades I know :)

So better late than never!


Femme Fitale Fit Club


Have a great day!!


Helpful Links!

What is a foam roller...
Fascial Stretch Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment