Tuesday, August 18, 2015

How to have a Better morning!

Hey there! 

Let's get this week started right shall we? So I am definitely not a morning person if you haven't figured that out from following me lol! So I have to constantly work on it and try to make my routine better and more efficient to get the most out of my mornings. Let's talk about...

How to have better mornings! 

I heard this on the radio one day and it really stuck with me. Oddly enough I was on the way to meet a gal friend at the gym! 

Here are a few pointers that I like to/have to do to make my mornings a lot better!

R - refrain from hitting the snooze 
I - increase your activity first thing
S - shower
E - energize your metabolism by eating within 30 mins - 1 hr of waking
U - listen to upbeat music 
P - phone a friend

First thing is first:


Refrain from hitting that snooze!

Did you know that if you wake up on your natural sleep cycle end point, that you'll wake feeling more refreshed and awake than if you keep hitting that snooze? Some of us naturally are good at waking up on the first alarm, but if you're like me...you may need an alarm clock like this: 


I got this in college and it was one of the best clocks I've ever bought. I still use it from time to time to break bad habits of sleeping in. Like pressing snooze after getting out of bed, then going back to bed habits. Can't do that when the clock rolls out the open door your roommate leaves!

But I also did quite a bit of research on it to try and improve my sleep habits, and even found an app that works too! So, your body takes around about 15-17 minutes to fall asleep give or take the person, and you sleep in 1.5 hour sleep cycles. So if you calculate the time you need to wake up and what time you should go to bed, it should be a simple formula for an awesome night's sleep! Try this website to help you out and if you want an app for that, this Sleep Cycle app was the best one I found! It also allows you to track the data over time to really see what your sleep is like and what has an effect on it. It uses the body's signals to wake you around your sleep cycle to get the most out of a good night's sleep! I use it in waves and this morning woke to it feeling just as good as always right one time!

Hit that gym or get in a workout - first thing!

If you're like me, there's not much I like doing early in the morning. But...getting active sure does make me feel better and sets the tone for a productive day. I mean if you haven't checked out my instagram you'll see a trend 😜 early mornings = motivation and always a good start to the day! It's proven that you get more done in the mornings anyways when your mind is fresh and your head is clear from a nights rest. So do yourself a favor, roll out of bed, grab your pre-made breakfast and hit the gym! Can't eat right before-- get up earlier! My gains aren't getting lost because I don't eat in the mornings, I get up and take time to eat before a hard workout (unless the plan or prep calls for fasted cardio.) you can do it too! 

Jump in the shower!

This works for a lot of people, like my husband for example, and i'll even agree on days that I don't workout in the morning. It alerts your senses and wakes you from the sometimes groggy feeling you have when you wake up.  Plus an invigorating scent for bodywash like my favorite, White Citrus, will be energizing and set the tone for coffee and breakfast time! Plus who doesn't want to have time to enjoy a warm shower in the morning? I don't like to rush, so count me in!

Energize your metabolism

I LOVE breakfast! Can I get an amen?? And if you love breakfast as much as I do - why wouldn't you want to eat a good meal before your workout or before you head out the door to work? To truly get the most benefit out of your metabolism, you need to eat within 30 minutes of waking up - seriously. So with that, here are a few of my favorite breakfast options and recipes! And most of these are tailored to my macros, so feel free to manipulate the portions. 



Breakfast Scramble with baby reds
How-to: I use 4-5 egg whites (on my plan), a few tbsps of pico, Flavor God seasoning (low sodium!) and low-sodium salt. Then I like to add spinach, tomato or pico, and the baby red potatoes (already prepped) to give more flavor!




Turn up the Tunes!!

I know in the gym I can go from tired and slow moving to upbeat and perky in a matter of minutes when I put my music in. I love having my Rhapsody playlist and Soundcloud for some Drum and Bass and techno on the right day! 




Here are a couple of my favorites lately! And my playlist ranges from Rock to metal, to pop and hip hop, techno, drum/bass, House, the list goes on! Anything to get you moving and humming along or dancing will obviously be enough to get your heart rate going through a workout, or make you feel good while you're getting ready!

And last but not least, 

Phone a friend

Now, at first I looked at this one and doubted this. But I often call my Mom or Dad sometimes on the way to work, or the hubby...especially when I was carpooling, carrying on a conversation for me is energizing and gets me thinking for the day ahead. For some, talking to people first thing is not easy; so take this one with a grain of salt. Being outgoing and an extrovert, people easily energize me in the mornings! One of my favorite things is to write a blog post in the morning to get my creative juices going. Or check out my instagram for the latest motivation that comes my way!



So there's a few tips to get you going in the morning and boost your not-so-morning-ness to chipper and ready to take on the world! Don't forget your coffee! ;)

Let me know what you think if you try out the recipes or apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment